Friday, June 10, 2011

DAY 27 - Another RPM Issue

A few days ago I posted an article regarding an irregular engine revving issue that I experience with a cold engine. Here's a LINK to that post if you want the background first.

Something similar happened this evening. I had just come off the highway after a 7 mile trip following our son to a friend's house. We pulled to the curb and I put the shifter into Park. The A/C was running and the engine oil was at operating temperature of about 240 degrees. Within a few minutes after stopping the tachometer needed decided to move from 700 or so up to about 1200, very similar to what it had done in the garage when the engine was cold.

On this occasion, the needle did very similar gyrations to what it had done the first time. I'm wondering if it might be something that's programmed into the car to keep the engine cooler. But I have no basis for that speculation. After 30 seconds or so and a few trips from 700 to 1200 and back again, it quit moving and settled in at the 700 mark.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's had a similar experience and what the result was.

No comments:

Post a Comment